Tuesday, October 31, 2017

I get by with a little help from my friends


One of the challenges of my life is that I am pretty self-aware.   It's challenging because my personality isn't always the easiest to have.   There are many things about me that make it annoying to be me.

One of them is that I often tend to believe that everything is about me.  See paragraph above. :-)

But I also am incredibly competitive, borderline obsessive, and like a dog with a bone on certain things.  I'm extremely passionate about the things I care about and sometimes can't stop myself . . . leading people to believe that I am pushy.   Hmmmm.  (big smile)

In case you haven't noticed, I'm participating in a fund raiser for the organization I work with and I am so passionate about what I do that it comes out in me being fairly obnoxious in my efforts to further the cause.

But one of the cool things that has happened in the past week is that I have learned the true meaning of this verse from Proverbs 25:13 (as paraphrased in the Message)
Reliable friends who do what they say are like cool drinks in sweltering heat -- refreshing!
People I have known and loved over the years have been some of the first to respond to my appeal.  People I haven't talked to in a long time, but people who have been my friends.   And some of my newest friends have come through for me as well.

Reliable friends can look past all of the annoying things that make me me and see my heart.... and that is exactly like a cool drink on a very hot day.

It's my prayer that I will not only have reliable friends, but be one.

Now here's a song that will take you back in time for a moment.   If you are over 40 you can't tell me that this song doesn't take you back in time and remind you of a friend or two.

No comments: