Friday, August 17, 2007

Christians and Adoption

Warning -- rant coming on. Not intending to be offensive to anyway, just purging myself of strong emotions about a topic very close to my heart. This is what happens when I am left completely alone for 45 minutes. Consider yourself blessed that it doesn't happen very often.

Sometimes it's just great when someone else posts something I wish I could say....Anthony Bradley, a seminary professor and social activist has posted two very interesting posts that I stumbled along in the past couple weeks. In one he asks the question, Why Does America Have Orphans If It Has Christian Churches?" and in the second blog post is titled, "Does Atlanta Have Any Christians? Obviously not, some would say. Why is John, a Christian kid, in foster care Atlanta? Why, why, why?".

Grant it, I don't think that Rev. Bradley knows all the ins and outs of the issues of older children in foster care and how damaged they might be, but I can't help but wonder if he doesn't have a point. I wish I was in a position where I could state it this strongly. His opening paragraph begins,

America has nearly 115,000 orphaned kids in foster care waiting to be adopted. Some wonder how this is possible in a country with Christian families. Surely, there are 115,000 missional families in America, right? Missional families, for example, embrace the redemptive mission of God and practice "true religion" in their local communities (James 1:27). Missional Christians in America could eliminate the foster care system tomorrow if we would stop "shootin' up" with the American Dream (heroine) in order to get high on a lame life lived for the sake of comfort and ease.
.

There are many Christian people who, if not critical, have at least been somewhat condescending in their questions like 'Why in the world would you want MORE children." Sometimes I am so tempted respond, "Our family will have 12 children because there are another 11 families out there who are unwilling to take one."

Obviously there are Christian families who adopt. I know many of them who do. And their are great adoptive parents who are not Christians. But when I combine my spirituality with our choices to adopt, I have to ask myself the same question. Why can't 60 million Christians take care of 115,000 kids?

I think it is awesome that there are other families who are not Christian who adopt. But I think it is ironic that Christians are not the first in line when the very foundatin of our faith is, as Kari mentioned in this post the words of Jesus who talks about how what we do it to the least of these, we are doing for him. And the verse that Bradley quotes about true religion being taking care of widows and orphans.

Sure, there are other ways to fulfill these mandates that are easier. I can send money. I can volunteer a week of my year to go on a missions trip. I can volunteer at a food shelf once a week. All those things are good, and right, and necessary.

But is God not calling us, the Church with a capitol C, to step up to the plate and adopt children, especially teens? Yes, it is going to take every waking minute of our lives from now until death to deal with the kids either physically when they are present or emotionally and mentally now and forever.

Now, I'm going to go from Preaching to Meddling as they say, but nothing burns me more than listening to "Christians" who have never adopted criticizing "the kinds of people they let adopt these days." It temps me to get right in their face and say, "how DARE you criticize those who will when you won't."

I'm sure I've made my point. Probably 10 times by now. But in adding our kids lots of asked "how can you do this again" and I respond, 'How can we NOT do this again. I see at least 2-300 kids come across my desk every single month and that is only a fraction of the kids needing homes. We have three empty beds. How can we NOT adopt again?"

If you, who have not adopted, don't think that kids get enough attention in a big famliy, then you adopt one or two or three and then I will let you criticize me for having twelve. If you do not think that single women should adopt -- every kid deserves a dad-- then you adopt one or two or three or five or ten and THEN I'll let you complain. If you do not think that single dads are capable of parenting, then when you introduce me to your new kids and I'll let you say what you want. And of course, if same sex couples can't be good parents, then when you're willing to adopt even one older kid with MULTIPLE issue, like they are doing, then I'll give you the floor. And if you should be tempted to say the words "only Christians should be able to adopt" to me, then you better have proof that you have adopted as many kids as you possibly can.

I have heard all the excuses from Christians as to why they can't adopt. I'm too young, I'm too old. It might mess up my birthkids. What if I wanted to have birthkids later? I'm single. I don't have parenting experience. I'm too poor. I'm too busy. I wouldn't have time for __________. I wouldn't have money for ________________. And the list goes on and on and on, usually ending with "I don't feel called to do it."

My immediate response is that we are already called, scripture makes it pretty clear. But my question is this, "If you feel a need to have God specifically call you to do this, why not ask God to do just that?"

11 comments:

Suzy said...

Wow! Really powerful words. Thanks for saying this.

Unknown said...

Bravo! Right on Claudia. I love it. I'm storing these replies up for when I have kids. Hopefully soon.

Kari said...

Claudia,
I have felt really frustrated about this same issue. We sat at a Christian college get-together a few nights ago talking to people about how we had a decision to make about adopting our former foster son to people who would have no idea what the world of foster care and adoption is about.

We have come to a decision that will probably bother you, knowing your passion about adopting teens, but we know that it would not be a good move to adopt the young man in question when we have vulnerable younger kids and 2 nephews who really need us right now. But it makes me so angry that more families aren't available. It shouldn't fall on the shoulders of a few, it should be COMMON in churches to have foster and adoptive families. There should be MANY to choose from so that the best matches can be made. Being a Christian has never been about dressing nice for church and writing checks without getting your hands dirty.

Thanks for your passion. You always inspire me. ~Kari

Claudia said...

Kari,

How could I be bothered by your decision, knowing what I know about all that you do.

I'm not bothered at all about your decision, but about the decision that so many others are making that makes you feel like you have to even think about adding to your already full plate.

Where is everyone else?

Claudia said...

Foster Abba,

Thank you so much for your support. I was especially hoping not to offend you guys.....

I have so much respect for you.

~*~Hallie~*~ said...

Amen! I agree with all you've said. I feel like I'm up on my soapbox saying these same things to my family and friends, so its nice to hear someone's opinions that mirror my own.

Fostermama said...

Another BRAVO from a queer non-christian. I think communities of faith taking action can make huge impact on our failing system. The members are already organized and the parent support system is built in. What more could you ask for?

Mike Benson said...

This is a great post! Very well said.

When I last came to Mankato, Bart and I had a conversation about religion and how it sometimes doesn't feel relevant to mainstream America. I think part of the reason for that is that people see an inherent hypocrisy:

They see images of fundamentalist Christians protesting and arguing over abortion, while doing nothing to help the thousands of kids in America who need stable families.

And that's just in America, imagine how many in the children in the world need families... Imagine what overwhelming good could be done by a truly mobilized organization.

Now I'm not saying that everyone who is a Christian and doesn't adopt is a hypocrite, but the religious-right has made me feel less favorable about organized religion in general, so I'm glad that you blogged about this.

Meeting you and Bart and Kari and Mike definitely helped me feel much more positively about religion again. Thanks!

-Mike B

Brighton said...

APPLAUSE!! And AMEN!!
I have a family of self rightous southern baptists I'd love to have you meet : )

Chris P said...

One certainly can't argue with the numbers. I like to play with numbers! Divide 60 mil by 115 K and you get 521.7. Lets be real generous and say they are families of 4 and divide accordingly that comes to 130. So if one family in every 130 christian homes in the US would take one of these children in, Like has been pointed out no more orphans!
It would be great if there was a waiting period for an adoption because there just were not enough kids!
This same concept goes with so manny other issues... IE: If Christians actually tithed there would be no need for social programs by the government. No welfare etc...
I relate to what Claudia wrote:" There are many Christian people who, if not critical, have at least been somewhat condescending in their questions like 'Why in the world would you want MORE children."
We have also had similiar responses when we found out we were going to have a 5th blessing from God! People are amazing somtimes! Some are just rude and then some just don't think. They have been influenced maybe by our society to have these attitudes towards the blessings not burdens of our lives!
I have not adopted any children. I feel like at this time our plate is full. Hypocrite? Some probably would say so. If thats what some think so be it. We are raising our 5 blessings from God as best we can and I praise God for People like Bart and Claudia! They are very special people and not just because they obey Gods calling and adopt these children!
Great entry Claudia.

Robin said...

I feel the frustration, too. We have two foster kids, and two bio kids. There are no major issues - all pretty normal kids. People at church tell us, "What a great thing you are doing!" Some have given us clothes (which is great), but what we really need is someone willing to babysit. In our state. babysitters have to be 18+, pass a background check, and be certified in first aid & cpr. Right now we have no one willing to do those things to babysit.