Sunday, July 06, 2008

March 1993 -- A Story You Have Not Yet Heard

In 1993 I was living in Valles, SLP, Mexico. I was a volunteer educational consultant at a college there and was living in a room on campus. A truck ran into the power lines and tore them up during one of the hottest times of the year.

The word "Valles" means Valley, and the town is named that because it is in a valley. All of the mountains around the valley are full of sugar cane fields and during those weeks of the year, they burn the sugar cane, and the heat settles in the valley. The temperature is usually around 95-100 that time of year anyway, with 90-95% humidity, but who knows what the temperature is when the heat from the cane settles.

Anyway, that was the 3 weeks that the power was out. And I was in my stucco room with no electricity. Think about it. We didn't have air conditioning anyway, but this meant no fan. No moving air. I would go to bed and within 20 minutes be covered in sweat.

Since then, whenever I am hot or sweaty, I simply tell myself, "If you survived Valles in 93, you can survive anything."

It was truly a miserable few weeks.

I'm telling myself that tonight. We haven't had the air on yet this summer, a complete miracle, and we've saved a lot of money. But today we sure could have stood to have it on.

It's going to be a hot night -- but not as hot as March of 1993.

No comments: