Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Hourly Update on Mike

Mike has had his breakfast. I asked him to come talk with me. I asked him what he planned to do for the day. He said, "I need to find a job. I know you already have one lined up for me, but I want to find something else."

I patiently replied, "Well, it will be difficult for you to find one without an ID, without work experience, without a diploma, and with arrests on your record, but I guess the decision is up to you."

He mentioned fast food and told him he was free to do that. I suggested he go to the library and get online and apply for jobs that way if he didn't want to go around town doing so. He said he didn't have a library card because he had a fine he couldn't pay.

I offered him our computers, but reminded him that he had permission to be on them only to apply for jobs and that I would check the history. All of the sudden applying for jobs online didn't seem to be important any more.

I'm trying to be calm and practice tough love. I cannot have the stress of him hanging around all day here becuase his tendency to pocket things that aren't his or take off with our items makes me very nervous.

Tomorrow Bart will accompany him to his first of many court hearings. At that time hopefully Bart's role as job coach will be more effective than mine was today.

No comments: