Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Main Problem: They have FASD and I Don't

The two "adults" we have living here have FASD. One is diagnosed but has a high IQ, one is not diagnosed and has a lower IQ, but both of them have obvious issues when it is time for them to figuratively "put two and two together."

This morning we have late start (once a month in our school district) so the "adults" were the only ones up. I head to the shower and find the floor of the shower dry. Since Bart was in the shower upstairs before that, it is obvious that adult #1 had not showered, which is a huge issue. Really huge issue.

But it takes me a good five minutes to get him to admit that he didn't. He just can't understand how I KNOW he didn't shower. Ugh.

And then, adult number two cannot stay away from long distance calls and therefore does not have phone privileges. Every time he moves in and out there are calls made and he never pays for them. So this morning, I tell him he does not have phone privileges and so he tells me, with enthusiasm and apparently believing he'll be allowed to stay on the phone, "It's Barbie!!! (name changed).

So, in defending himself from using the phone he admits to making a long distance call, something I hoped he wasn't doing, and the very reason for his lack of phone privileges.

Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be more fun to live a life where it didn't even matter what 2 plus 2 was, but I can't fathom it. My brain always over connects so living with people whose brains don't sometimes makes my head spin.

5 comments:

Yondalla said...

We have a long-distance block on our phone. They phone company does not advertise it as one of its features, but if you call and ask it is there. It doesn't cost very much and no one can make a long distance call if they don't know the secret code.

And I think I've forgotten it!

Claudia said...

Great tip! I'm going to put that on my list of things to do.

I'll probably get to in in 2009, but it will be on the list.

Unknown said...

Claudia-
Might I also suggest the unlimited long distance phone companies? Many companies (Bellsouth, ATT, etc) now have an unlimited plan for local and long distance for under $40 a month combined... Maybe that will help!

Claudia said...

Well, you'll never believe this, but I actually did call this morning and now I've blocked long distance. But I'm not going to tell anyone here in the family and see which one comes up to me and tells me there is something wrong with the phone. :-)

Tracy and Donovan Jackman said...

I share your deep frustration with the 2+2. My son is not an adult yet, but it is so hard to get him to understand anything because of this barrier. I prefer to teach my children through rationale...it just doesn't work with this fasd kid. Somewhere in th argument realize that arguing isn't going to work and end the conversation with the 'because I said so' attitude, usually loudly because he doesn't give up, yet his points don't make sense. Can we change the meaning of FASD to fetal alcohol sucks daily? Any other suggestions?