Saturday, August 02, 2008

Got the Hour Done

Well, I got the hour done. One hour spent working on the book. Am going to try to get another hour in today as well.

I confess to being absolutely overwhelmed at this point in my life. I have often been overwhelmed. Happens a lot. But looking ahead at the next several months I am more overwhelmed than ever before.

I think it would be helpful to me to articulate why I am overwhelmed. Maybe breaking it down will help. Or, as Bart warns, maybe it will double overwhelm me.

1) One month until school starts and nothing has been purchased. That means that I have 8 kids living at home that I need to help get new clothes, new shoes, and school supplies. We still have 6 kids who need to see the dentist. Sports practices start as soon as Monday for Salinda (if she chooses to go to the optional ones which I have decided not to care about). Paperwork for school needs to be done along with several appointments.

2) I don’t talk much about my local job because so much of it is confidential, but I have a coworker resigning in less than a month and I’m going to be getting all of her cases. There is the possibility that between us we may have as many as 20 kids in placement, which will all be on my shoulders. And this doesn’t count all the families that will still be in matching.

3) I am behind with my Adopt American numbers and even though I am attempting to put in hours and make connections it has been more difficult lately. I need to think of new strategies and new ideas for matching and I just don’t have the time to maintain what I currently have going on and take initiatives. I really need to be travelling more as well, but that is difficult to set up.

4) I am very motivated about the book getting done, but it is going to require a lot of work and a lot of time. I won’t go on about all that, but in order to do the things I want to do, I’m going to have to keep working very hard on that.

5) I am not going to let go of the exercise piece of my life. This is now taking about 90 minutes or more of my days 6 days a week. But I have more energy and feel better than I ever have. If I let this go, then I’m sunk for sure.

6) I am completely unorganized and distracted, so sitting down to do anything is difficult. I always feel disjointed because I don’t have many solid hours to dedicate to anything. Thus I come and go quickly and can’t seem to get into a project before it’s time to go.

7) I would love to do more at church, but just can’t possibly find time, and then I feel disjointed from Bart’s ministry and long for the days when we did more of that together.

OK, I’ll stop with seven things. But I could seriously be three people and be very happy and fulfilled getting things done and making progress. None of my three selves would even take time to watch TV I don’t think. Although, maybe I’d be a fourth who could just have fun and relax.

Nope, don’t think so. So much to be done in this world.

2 comments:

Torina said...

You have my sympathies. I may need to go take a nap now as your list made me tired just thinking about all that :)

Angela :-) said...

For some reason, I got hung up on a small detail. lol Why do kids need new shoes for school? What's wrong with the shoes they already wear? Unless, they've outgrown them, in which case, why wait until school starts to get a pair that fits?

Angela :-)