Friday, January 06, 2017

Ever needed a lighthouse? Or been one?


Have you ever had one of those friends that is a consistent source of strength when you need it?  Yesterday I had coffee with one of those people in my life.   She is one of my new Danville friends, and I won't mention her name in case it embarrasses her, but she is such a positive person.  AND she is a great listener. Through all of my ups and downs during the last year she paid attention to all of my whining.  She even remembered the names of all of the players in my drama.

I was quite surprised yesterday when she pointed out to me that I had been a great help to her in the past year.  That my ability to think beyond the moment had helped her to not have as many episodes of depression.  I was shocked.  I actually had believed that my relationship with her was a very selfish one because she had been a great friend to me.

I believe that is the way that God intends it to be when we live in Christian community together.   He brings people into our lives who can bless us and who in turn receive blessings by knowing us.

I heard the song below on my way to work this morning and it reminded me of so many people God has placed in my life over the years and  many who are here now.   This line is awesome:

Everybody needs someone beside em’ shining like a lighthouse from the sea

There have been so many times when I feel like I'm lost in a storm, and a friend of mine has been there to be that lighthouse, shining the hope and promise of God to me.

I challenge you as you go through our day to day to realize that you are that lighthouse for someone and to thank God for those who play that role for you.




No comments: