Thursday, January 26, 2017

Who Are You Complaining To?

Is it human nature to whine?  I think it probably is.  I try not to be an external whiner, but I internally whine a lot.   It seems nuts to whine when we have so many blessings we can't count them.  I love the hashtag #firstworldproblem because it reminds me that the fact that we need perspective.  If the biggest problem I have today is that left my iPhone charger at the office or that I can't find the remote, or that it takes a whole seven minutes for a lady in a window to give me a hot meal then I really have it good.

The Israelites were whiners.  God rescued them miraculously from Egypt, parted the Red Sea, even, and a little while later this is what they said in Exodus Chapter 16 (quotes from the Message translation)

Why didn’t God let us die in comfort in Egypt where we had lamb stew and all the bread we could eat?   

Moses talked to God on behalf of the people and He came back to tell them,

God has listened to your complaints against him. You haven’t been complaining against us, you know, but against God.” 

If that were true of the Israelites then is that true of us as well?  When we complain to others, does God view that as complaints against Him?

Probably.  

Ouch.

Nuf said.


 

No comments: