Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Where are you in line?


When it comes to a new adventure that requires a lot of faith, where are you in line to get going with that?   If you know me, you probably know that I'm one of those "front of the line" people when it comes to something new and daring.   I like change, I like challenge, I like trusting God for big things. 

I think some of this is beyond our control -- it has to do with our temperament and the personality that God gave us.  I don't think that the people at the front of the line are any more holy than those that wait until they have all the facts they need to jump in ... it is just a difference in how we were wired when God made each of us.

I was listening to the story of the parting of the Red Sea yesterday and it occurred to me that some person had to be the first one to take that first step into the parted sea.   I started picturing in my mind that huge group of Israelites and how by personality they were probably scurrying to find the spot that worked best for them.  Some people towards the back were high green (if you know anything about the Kolbe test).... in other words, they were risk takers who want to jump in to the water and figure out how deep it is once they touch the bottom.   Those people were pushing their way to the front saying, "ooooh, cool.  God is going to do a miracle and I can't wait to be involved in it."

Others, who might have been in the front of the line when the journey started may have been high red  (according to the Kolbe) who wanted were walking backward towards the end of the line because they needed to get a better look at what was happening from a distance and assess their risk.  

Either way, they all made it through.   And when it came time to rejoice, Scripture tells us they all did so, even if it were from a different perspective.  Those at the front of the line were probably rejoicing with a "whew, I really didn't think that through, I'm so glad God is faithful even when I take crazy risks."   The back of the line people were probably saying, “That you God for being faithful.   Even after gathering all my facts, I wasn't sure getting in the water was a good idea."

Regardless of their personality, the result for all of them was two fold.  First, they all rejoiced and sang praise to God.  This is the song they sang from Genesis 15 (the Message):
I’m singing my heart out to God—what a victory!    He pitched horse and rider into the sea.God is my strength, God is my song,    and, yes! God is my salvation.This is the kind of God I have    and I’m telling the world!This is the God of my father—    I’m spreading the news far and wide!
And the second result, as sung in the song above, was that they told everyone that God was faithful.

Whether you are a the kind of person who stands there a long time assessing the water and counting the costs of your decisions, or someone who would have rushed to be the first to put your feet in the water, remember.... when God comes through for you it's time to recognize that, rejoice, and tell the world.

If you were alive and in church in the 70s, you know this song.   It gets a little repetitious, but the footage in the background really brings the whole story to life.





No comments: