Saturday, July 23, 2005

Another Chapter and a Day of Shopping

I took 6 kids shopping today. It was insane. I used to hate shopping because the kids were so little that it was hard to keep track of them.

Now I hate shopping because EVERYTHING matters. Each of them is developing their own style and I, who have no style, have a hard time paying extra so that they have the right label on them.

My style is this: four or five pair of elastic waste pants and four or five pair of elastic waste shorts. Plain colors. Black, Blue, Red maybe. And some plain colored shirts.

Every once and a while my husband gets so fed up with my wardrobe that he buys me stuff. Otherwise it's the same stuff for me.

Today all these teens and preteens are talking about brands and cool and all that .... and I'm paying more than I want to pay.

No, I'm not Cindy and I can't be -- I don't live within my means all the time, I don't shop at garage sales, and we wear shoes on days besides Sunday. But I digress.

ANyway, today it was all about looking cool. Don't get me started on the crazy styles now -- the boys want shirts that hang down to their knees to cover up shorts that hang half way down their butt ... and the shoes aren't tied and hang off their feet. UGH.

Underwear is private. I learned that a long time ago. And you tie your shoes.

The funny thing about all this is that my kids tease me that I have no style but always want my opinion about how things look. That seems odd to me.

Anyway, I saved $350 while spending $150 at JCPenney today. Certainly not a record of savings (I've saved over $1000 and spent only $100 before), but we got a lot of school shopping done.

All we have left is school supplies (which my feet, in shoes for the first time in days, could not tolerate today).

No comments: