Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Hotel Rwanda

I am working my way through this movie when I have time to watch a bit of it. I'll be finishing it tonight.

There is a powerful scene where the hotel manager, who is trying to keep over 1,000 refugees safe, is talking to a journalist who has gotten video footage of the brutal killings and the hotel manager accidentally saw it. The journalist apogizes and says he wouldn't have put the tape in had he known the manager was in the room. The Rwandan hotel manager says, "I am glad that you are showing the world this footage. It is the only way that they will intervene."

And the journalist asks, "And if no one intervenes, is it still a good thing to show?"

The manager responds, "How can they not intervene when they witness such atrocities?"

"I think that if people see this footage," the journalist replies, "they will say, 'Oh my God! That is horrible' and then go on eating their dinners.

Unbelievably true.

No comments: