Friday, September 25, 2009

The People

Not much time this morning -- multitasking like a maniac -- but wanted to quickly blog about how incredible the people that i have met because of my adoption journey.

I encourage you to take a look at your current friends and acquaintance, both online and in person. How many of them would you currently know if you had never adopted?

When I do that I am amazed at how empty my life would seem without all of them. Grant it, I would probably have other friends, but the caliber of people I have met since beginning this journey is mind boggling.

And you know what? It is because our kids turn us into these kind of people. I am a much better person than I was 13 years ago before I became a parent. The kids have refined me -- iron sharpens iron you know -- and I have become more understanding, more patient, more socially just, more compassionate -- I could go on and on.

And so have many of you. The incredible people I have met through adoption may not have been quite as incredible before their kids came along.

As Bart has said many times, "I started the adoption journey because I wanted to save a child, but in reality, my children have saved me."

2 comments:

Other Mother said...

Amen!

FosterAbba said...

We actually have fewer friends and a less active social life than we did before we adopted.