Saturday, January 09, 2010

Waking Up to Reality

Last night I had a long detailed dream. A social worker was calling me (a worker who I have met in Washington state) asking me to consider a sibling group of 5 Hispanic kids under 10. She had a long story to tell me about how we would be the perfect family for them and how convinced she was that we were perfect for them. It was a group of five, four boys and a girl, and the youngest was a 2 year old girl named Lupita who, the worker pointed out, would be a perfect playmate for Gabby growing up. (Apparently she was a blog reader).

THe problem was during the phone call nobody would leave my office, regardless of the threats. I had to keep putting the worker on hold trying to make them leave, but the kids were so interested in the conversation that i couldn't get them to go. I ended up very frustrated.

THe dream moved on and suddenly the worker was here and had pictures to show me. It turned out she had "Forgotten" three of the kids and it was really a group of 8. She was looking around the house and suggested to me that she would convince her state to remodel our home to accommodate the kids. There were 3 boys and 5 girls all under 12. She was begging me to ask Bart to consider it. When I finally got her to agree to throw in a 15 passenger van, I was ready to present my case.

UNTIL I was awakened by a majorly stupid but very loud argument between Dominyk and Tony. And immediately the warm fuzzy feelings of a dreamed about possibility turned into reality and I did not want even one more child....

A Tony/Dominyk argument is a definite wake up call.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I needed that giggle. I was trying to convince Big Boy that we needed a toddler that we know (I have been adamant in the past about never taking babies). He laughed his butt off at me when the kids started arguing. pop went the toddler idea.

kidsaregreat said...

That's my family...where are they???[smile]

Integrity Singer said...

About a year ago I dreamt that we would be adopting triplet girls, Lola, Zola and Zora. They were about 15 months old. When I woke up, I told the family about it and my astute youngest child said, "mom, that's not a dream, that's a nightmare!" NO kidding!!! lol

recently, in our community, a sibling group of 12 was removed from their home but because their individual needs were so specific and demanding (they lived in complete isolation with little food, clothing, no medical care or education) they were sent to many foster homes according to their age, delay, health condition and other various needs. I can't imagine taking on all 12!

Lisa said...

That was great!! What details!! I've had similar dreams and it's always a really large hispanic or aa group (don't ask me why) and in the dream my husband and I have absolutely no problem agreeing on taking in all of them, the kids already here are thrilled and ready to help out in every way they can, and the money and van we need and the bigger house just all come together. I remember saying in the dream, "It's all coming together like it's supposed to, that means we are supposed to get them". Oh yeah, and it's all so darn EASY - perfect indication that it's a dream. I wake up with all this hope and then reality hits and it's almost like I've lost something.

Miz Kizzle said...

Oh come on! You can't leave us hanging like that! What's a Tony/Domynick argument like?