Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Missing out on (or Turning down!) a Miracle?

 

Want to see miracles?  I think we all do.  Or we say we do.   We are always praying for them, hoping for them, wanting God to break through and do something huge.


So what was up with Moses in Exodus 4?

Check out this passage.

But first a little background.  God had shown Moses his power — he had already done a couple of crazy things to show Moses that he had things under control.  He had turned his staff into a hissing snake…. and turned his hand leprous and healed it again.   There was no doubt that God was the God of miracles. He told Moses that the people were going to listen to him.  And here was Moses’ response:

 But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.”  But he said, “Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.”

Isn’t that a typical human response?  Basically Moses is saying, “God, I realize that you are powerful enough to do these big miracles, but you can’t use me.  I can’t speak very well.”  And God tells him “I’ll work miracles and you’ll be amazed at how well you do.”

And Moses says, “No thanks.”

WHAT????????

But think about it.  Have you ever felt God nudging you to do something outside your comfort zone and said, “please send someone else?”   

I can’t help but wonder what kind of miracles Moses would have seen if he had said yes to God.   He turned down a miracle.  What miracles are you turning down today?





No comments: