Wednesday, October 12, 2005

A Day without Blogging is like...

Well, it is kind of disjointed. Yesterday I flew to Toledo and last night I was going to blog the day, but I was too tired to blog it. It was a pretty good day, but in some ways very long.

Today was a good day. I slept a long time last night and I don’t have much of the stresses of home, even though some of it does follow me. We made good progress on what I believe is a great proposal for a potentially awesome project. Had some good meals with good friends and now I’m back to the hotel by 7:30. My biggest decision now is whether or not to watch TV or play computer gin -- interspersed with some work of course.

I had to write a letter to Mike explaining why we are refusing to be part of his transition. He isn’t going to understand it. I guess right now our theory is that if we are going to do our very best and be accused of being unsupportive we might as well give ourselves some emotional space and earn the title.

It isn’t going to matter much what we do ... Mike isn’t going to understand or care -- except when it comes to not getitng the stuff he wants. A pretty sad state of affairs, I think.

There are so many things wrong with the system that I can’t make it make sense. Troubled children are empowered, adoptive family systems are blamed for the issues that the children’s birth family systems created (see Cindy's rant and Yolie's take), and the amount of hassle required to reunify with children becomes so impossible that even the best of parents are tempted to give up. Has to make you wonder.

So I’m giving up four days of my life to write a proposal for money which will allow us to recruit many more good people to do this. Why, because as I have said it previously and much more eloquently, It's not about us.

1 comment:

QueenBee said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to walk the road you're now on. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.