Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Empathy Pills

I wish I could manufacture a set of prescriptions that made people feel exactly like a psychological disorder. Like an empathy belly. these pills would temporarily cause a person to feel EXACTLY like a child with ADHD, or FAS, or OCD. For one day they would have brains that didn’t work right, the inability to remember things, or the need to pick at scabs until they bleed every day.

When they were invented, I would start by taking one of them myself. I’m sure that I would never be the same after experience what it is like to be one of my kids and what they have to live with every single day. I’m sure my husband would be willing, for a day, to try one as well.

I would then let each sibling take a pill that showed them what it was like to be each of their other siblings. I read things about families who have kids with lots of medical concerns and how the “normal” kids grow up to be so kind and compassionate. Because my children’s disabilities are hidden, my other children do not see them and deep down, I don’t think they believe they really exist. My almost 13 year old girl (need I say more) cannot keep her mouth shut about how the kids with disabilities are being spoiled and how they never get in trouble and how I ONLY punish her (simply not true, but the fact that she is almost 13 should have given you that clue anyway).

Then there is a myriad of professionals to whom I would give the pill. Therapists, teachers, school psychologists and principals, social service staff, physicians, etc. I would give one to each of our neighbors (though I’d probably have to sneak it into their coffee as they have no desire to learn more about my children.) I would let people in our congregation try one. I would give them to my parents and my inlaws.

I really believe, that that pill and that day would change the way everyone responds to my children, including me. But since there is no such pill, I will pray ... pray that those of us who are healthy and whole will be able to empathize, be patient, and care for those who are not. And that one by one, we can educate those around us to value and celebrate the uniqueness of children with these issues. Amen. So Be It.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'd be first in line to pass them out!