Thursday, October 27, 2005

Pet Peeve

One of my pet peeves is people who complain about their jobs but have no plans of quitting. All my life I have been amazed that there are people who will for years complain about their jobs without any plans to get a different one. Why would anyone consign themselves to that kind of a life?

When and if I start complaining about a job, I’m looking for a way out. If there is no way out, I do not complain. Actually, I have been blessed with the ability to find fulfillment in almost anything I do. As a 16 year old I had a job as a secretary for Denver Girls, which is now called Denver Kids. I remeber having a sheet of paper tucked into my desk where I had printed “Secretarial Olympics” where I tallied my statistics -- things like number of envelopes stuffed in one hour, number of labels put on envelopes in one hour, how much time it took to type one page of case notes, how long it took to put stamps on 100 envelopes, etc.

Every time I had a new project I would try to break my personal record. See, I told you, I can find meaning in anything.

I think I have realized, in my years of working with people, that one of two things take place. One is that people train themselves to be unhappy and will never like any job they have because they can only see the bad. The other one is even more unfortunate: people get into a habit of complaining and griping when they really aren’t as unhappy as they appear. This is most tragic, because after a while people assume that they are really as unhappy as they act like they are and then they end up losing jobs that they loved.

I have gotten fairly negative (as my blog reflects) over the past three weeks and I’m talking to myself here. There are SO many things I could be doing that would be worse than anything I’m doing now (like standing and cutting meat all day for minimum wage as one of my immigrant friends does). Going to try to break the negativity habit and focus on the positive...

1 comment:

Kathyb1960 said...

Boy is that ever true! And sometimes the young ones, who are just coming into the workforce, think they can work however, whenever they want to, and if they get griped at, they'll just leave and go somewhere else.

I work w/ a girl now who has been on the 3 mo probation for just starting a job. Her baby has been really sick, and in and out of the hospital. Well, our company could have let her go, but instead, they put her on one more month of probation. And she didn't get a raise. So, now she's all mad, and saying she's going to quit next Friday. Without giving notice. I have tried to tell her that is not a good idea because it doesn't look good when you start quitting without giving notice. And if she does it once, she'll do it again.

She thinks she's being mistreated, but I told her, she has it good. I used to work for a company that if you missed one day during training(xcept for hospitization or death) you were gone. And if you missed more than 1 day during the first 3 months, you were gone.

But you can tell the younger ones that because they just know they are being treated wrong. Kinda sad.