Friday, September 15, 2017

How Bad Do You Want It?


One of my coworker tells a funny story of being at the grocery store.  It goes something like this.

One clerk says to the other, "I saw this job posting and I want the job in the worst way."

Other clerk responds, "Well, all you have to do is put in an application.  They have lots of spots open."

First clerk:  "I ain't got time for all that!"

That story cracks  me up every time I think about it.  But doesn't it describe human nature perfectly?

I gotta lose some weight!   ---  Well, it's not that hard... Exercise and eat right.   ----  I ain't got time for all that!

I really need to improve my marriage.   --  What about a marriage retreat?  -- I ain't got time for all that!

My relationship with my kids is in a bad place. -- Why not spend more quality time with them?  -- I ain't got time for all that!

You get the idea.

It also happens to us spiritually.   What would it look like if we were to really put God first?  To seek him with everything we have?  To study His word, pray without ceasing, serve those less fortunate as if we were serving him?

But unfortunately, "We ain't got time for all that!"

Jeremiah 29:11-14 says in the Message:
I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.   “When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I’ll listen.   “When you come looking for me, you’ll find me.  “Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I’ll make sure you won’t be disappointed.”
When you want to find God than anything else, you won't be disappointed.  That's quite a promise.   It's one I'm holding on to today. 

No comments: