Thursday, September 08, 2005

Fashion Trends

I'm not the queen of fashion.

In fact, my husband has to buy me clothes or I don't buy anything more than an occasional pair of polyester pants at Walmart with elastic wastes and maybe a super plus size t-shirt or two.

But I do think it is weird that:

guys want you to see their boxers;

socks are supposed to be cut so low that nobody (especially parents who check) can tell if you're wearing them;

dress shirts that are supposed to be ironed and are made to tuck nicely are worn wrinkled and untucked;

the wasteline for guys is now half way down their butts;

shoe strings are tucked inside of shoes instead of being tied to keep the shoes on so that the backs of the shoes can be walked on all day long and shoes last 1/4 of as long as they should;

belly buttons are to be shown by girls, but boys shirts must reach their knees;

shorts for boys are to reach below their knees, while girls shorts need to be so short that guys can see their buttcheeks;

things are pierced so many times that you can see any space between the holes;

and I won't even start on tattoos.

While I'm not stating that things were great when I was a kid (I'm not going to brag about leisure suits and bellbottoms) at least we knew that:

underwear and bra straps should be hidden at all costs;
socks were supposed to be seen above the shoe;
and
ears were only meant to be pierced once, if at all, and nothing else was intended for piercing.

Raising these kids to adulthood may be, as my mother used to say, "the death of me yet."

No comments: