Thursday, September 08, 2005

What's the Difference?

According to websites I've checked, people are coming out of the woodwork to ask to care for children who were victims of the Hurricane Katrina.

I understand the desire to help, but I am often amazed at what triggers people's response.

There are hundreds of thousands of children in foster care in this country who are victims of much more serious things than a hurricane, and yet finding people to do foster care is very difficult.

Why would caring for these children be any less heroic than caring for Katrina survivors?

I could go on, but I don't think I have answers. But it makes me ask questions ... and wonder ...

1 comment:

QueenBee said...

I'm so right there with you. My best guess is that people televisions aren't flooded daily with images of foster kids. It's a shame. My husband and I are adopting through the foster care system in Texas....waiting for our match. I've wondered about how to educate more people on what it's all about. Any ideas?