Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Who's the Rat?

Yesterday, in a fit of controlled anger, I had blogged about some stuff about John and how I am disagreeing with the decisions being made about him. But fortunately, I left out much of the details and a lot of my emotion. Before court for Salinda this morning, John's social worker came up to me and shook my hand. I jokingly said, "How can you even shake my hand when you know how pissed I am at you."

He responded, "Yeah, I guess. I read your blog last night."

"Really?" I was almost speechless. Apparently someone let the worker know that he was being "Dissed" on my blog. Fortunately, he didn't think it was "that bad." But now I'm wondering, who's the rat?

Actually, managing this blog is difficult. When I first started to blog, I was blogging for myself and for other adoptive parents across the country. This is still the audience I have in mind.

And yet locally more and people are starting to read the blog. Our neighbors, church members, kids teachers, and now social workers.

So I ask myself this question: Should I be more careful in what I write considering who my readers are? Should I risk offending them?

Fortunately, John's social worker is very self-differentiated and separates very well from the position. We have agreed to disagree often (ok, almost always). And, as I repeatedly point out, the day will come when the case will be closed for the social worker.

But the day will never come when the case is closed for us. John is our son. For better for worse. Til death.

3 comments:

Angela :-) said...

Hmmm. Tricky situation. I, too, find it difficult to blog some situations, knowing that my family & friends are my target audience. My blog posts like the one this week titled "opposition" often go comment-less.

Angela :-)

Sheri said...

I do not think you should censor what you write because we can all learn from one another's experiences. Maybe the social worker can learn something as well.

But then again I've never worried too much about offending others in person LOL

Tracy and Donovan Jackman said...

Please blog the reality. SW's truly need to know. A couple years ago I sought help from some SW's in my area, and they definitely did not get it. I was completely honest about our struggle with our FASD kid, and they think I am a horrible parent. SW's need to know the truth too.
Claudia, thanks for all you do, and write.