Monday, December 17, 2007

Why I Do What I Do...

We had our staffing for Salinda today. It went OK. The report from the group home was kind of a mixed review. They indicated several issues that Salinda needs to work on. They showed test results, scores, and other written "proof" of her need for further mental health treatment. It was an assessment program, and they shared their assessment.

The P.O. and the social worker were there, along with Bart and I, the therapist's intern, and two people from the group home. I could give you lots of details, but I don't have the time or desire to rehash.

But the bottom line is this: last week the social worker told Salinda she could choose to come home on Monday or on Friday. Salinda thought long and hard, and decided that even though she was nervous about going to school, she would come home today.

Towards the end of the meeting, the social worker and probation officer told her the bad news. First, she was going to be on house arrest with a bracelet again for the next 30 days. If she had excellent behavior, she could be off it in 20. She would have to fulfill 30 hours of community service. THen, after six months of being law abiding, all the charges would be dropped. (A stay of adjudication). But then, the final blow. She had to go to court before she could come home. And court doesn't happen until Wednesday. Of course, when she heard this she began to sob. She was all packed and ready to come home.

I felt bad for her, but again, her choices landed her there. She will have two more days and then she will return to a committed family who loves her and have a fresh start.

But I do my job because there are so many kids like Salinda who are devastated often by oversights and mistakes that social workers make. I know that the social worker was not intentionally lying or trying to cause problems for Salinda. She most likely honestly forgot that there needed to be a hearing before discharge.

But for Salinda, this was devastating news.

And as she left the table sobbing, the P.O. and social worker were debating if they wanted Taco Johns or Subway.

And I couldn't help but think of kids who do not have parents who view the statements of social workers, staff members, probation officers, etc. as promises. These are their only hope. People who have a caselaod of other kids like them. And while most of these people are doing the best they can to help, they are not parents.

I am not a perfect parent. My husband is not a perfect parent. But we are parents. And we can help our kids to understand the actions of all the professionals in their lives if they ask us.

But what about the kids who don't have parents?

That is the question I ask myself after every group home staffing, after every court hearing, after every consultation with a social worker or probation officer.

And my only conclusion? I need to find parents for kids who don't have them.

No comments: