Saturday, January 08, 2011

Not Quite Succeeding

If you've been reading the past few days you know that I've been trying to do more praying and less talking. Well, last night I didn't quite do that.

We have two daughters. One is eighteen and out of the house. One is 16 and very much here... whenever she has to be. She is a GREAT kid. Seriously. But she has a character flaw. When she screws up, it is NOT her fault and she cannot make herself do what she is supposed to do. I have tried to parent her a bit differently than her sister and to talk more and negotiate more, but sometimes I have to put my foot down. She needs to learn to accept authority.

This past week has been a hard one because she has been stuck in that place where she can't move forward. And I haven't pushed her, I've prayed for her and said little. But last night she wanted something from me so she had to talk to me. And I did well for a while until I realized what was happening and felt I had to explain it.

I figure an apology that is insincere is better than refusing to apologize at all, so I accepted it but then I asked a few follow up questions and could tell she still isn't understanding it.

So I guess now I need to add a prayer for myself when I pray for them. Maybe I should just pray that God shuts my mouth.

2 comments:

Katie said...

sometimes praying for God to let us give things up is just as important as praying for those things. we have a way of denying just the little strand that we *think* keeps us in control. you being alert to your relationships is huge though, and that is how you help others recognize things in their parenting!! thanks:)

GB's Mom said...

LOL! Sorry, but you do not know how many times I have prayed that EXACT prayer. I still do.