Saturday, April 28, 2012

Over-Committed and Over-Eager Syndrome?

You've heard of commitment-phobia right? Where people are hesitant to jump in and make a commitment and so they sit on the fence and don't quite ever plunge in?

Well I have the opposite of that -- whatever it might be called. Today I came up with OCOES (Pronounced Oh-Koze) which stands for Over-Committed and Over-Eager Syndrome. This has been demonstrated often in my life, but most recently with the house stuff it's driving me nuts.

First there was the complete jumping into the "perfect" rental with all of my enthusiasm and not ever giving a thought to the fact that it would fall through. And now we have decided we might be wanting to buy and I am feeling bad about every realtor and mortgage banker we don't choose because after every conversation I genuinely like most of them and would love to commit my business to all of them.

I'm wondering after thinking about this for a few days, how this has historically combined with Reactive Attachment Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, and Oppositional Defiant/Conduct Disorder in my children. I have a feeling it's not a good mix. I want engagement, commitment, connection immediately and my kids are not interested at all, especially when they first move in .... and definitely not as teenagers. I have had to train myself to pull back and not overwhelm them, which I succeed at about half of the time.

Anybody else have OCOES?

No comments: