Saturday, July 04, 2009

Morally Superior

Last night I posted a facebook update that talked about people acting morally superior when they weren't. As I was lying in bed thinking about that last night, I realized that my very statement was morally superior in tone. Why is it that we are so quick to judge others? I went and read Matthew 7 in the process:

The Message transalation puts Matthew 7:1-5 this way:

Don't pick on people, jump on their failures, criticize their faults— unless, of course, you want the same treatment. That critical spirit has a way of boomeranging. It's easy to see a smudge on your neighbor's face and be oblivious to the ugly sneer on your own. Do you have the nerve to say, 'Let me wash your face for you,' when your own face is distorted by contempt? It's this whole traveling road-show mentality all over again, playing a holier-than-thou part instead of just living your part. Wipe that ugly sneer off your own face, and you might be fit to offer a washcloth to your neighbor.


I was slammed in the face bigtime when I read that. None of us is perfect and I need to be careful.

Am I morally superior? Nope. Just bumbling along making mistakes as well. And I deleted the facebook update status as well.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Oh gosh Claudia! Are you admitting that you're (gasp) human!??!???!? Dear dear dear, where does that leave the rest of us?

Sweetie, when I read that yesterday, it was a slap in my face - and one I needed. I had just a few days been just a wee tad critical of something someone else had said in the face of their own devastating illness. Then I heard it played back in my own head, having said something similar but with an oh so better reason of course.

We learn from each other. That you have the humility to put yourself out there and admit it when something is said hastily is a huge help to many of us. Thank you for your transparence.

In His peace - Cindy
MoM(Mom of Many)
www.faithfulpromises.blogspot.com

Torina said...

Claudia, heathen here. What is the messages translation? This one sounds like one I want to read. Thx!