Monday, July 13, 2009

So Far, You Aren't Letting Her Down

When I posted about Princess, Past/Future's Dog, I thought to myself, "I bet there are enough generous people out there that we'll be half way there by morning.

ANd you didn't let me down. We are a little more than half way there. I would like to only have to make one payment, so if we could get to the total by days end, I think they would accept that. Any little bit helps. There have a few people who have been able to give more than $20, but I figure if I have about 250 readers a day -- that's only about $3.00 a piece, so every little bit helps.

If PayPal intimidates you, let me know and I'll let you send me a check.

I have noticed an interesting trend in who is choosing to give and who isn't and I'm tempted to blog about it, but I'm not going to until I've sent the check because 1) the trend might change, and 2) I don't want anyone to feel manipulated into giving.

For years I have talked about nameless/faceless kids who have "aged out" of the system who are now adults. But seldom do I have an opportunity to step in and say I'm sorry in a tangible way. I want to apologize for our society and our country who in attempting to protect children, often harms them further. A couple years ago we became acquainted with Kim and her family and helped them in many ways. I chuckled at the post title, Being a Grandma, because the teenage girl in the picture is now pregnant and so apparently I will become a great-grandma soon. Sigh.

Anyway, Kim was a real live person who aged out. I was able to see what it was like to have to create your own support system and attempt to make connections. Now Past/Future is another person who I don't really know but whose innermost thoughts we have been able to read.

Past/Future has asked for a list of the people who have contributed so that she can pay them back but some of you have asked her to pay it forward. I know she will be especially careful to do that.

Let's reach the goal today. OK? I will be away from my desk for most of the day, but can update my blog in short spurts from my Iphone as the emails come in.

I'm proud of you folks. You are trusting beyond what is humanly natural to help someone who is really very alone in this world. Hats off to you.

1 comment:

marcy said...

Hi,
I came across Past/Future's site a while ago through an interest in foster/adopt blogs. I just made a $100 donation and am adamant about not wanting to be paid back. Past/Future has paid enough in her life. Please pass on my wishes for her happiness and my thankfulness for the presence of Princess in her life. I have two Golden Retrievers staring at me right now, waiting for their morning walk. I don't know what I'd do without their warm, funny, ever loving and loyal presence in my own life and the idea that a young, vibrant animal that is loved and wanted would be put down because of temporary financial circumstances is intolerable. Thank you for initiating a way for folks to help keep this from happening. I hope that Past Future will feel free to use any excess money raised to help herself and Princess get settled.