Friday, June 29, 2007

He's Home Again


Kyle, our oldest son is home for the weekend. He isn't living here this summer and in a strange way we have missed him. He's the closest thing we have to an adult son and the closest thing we have to a success story. He's got quite the history before coming to us. Parentified, conduct disorder, angry, mean, but a survivor. And Bart gave him hours of each day ... developing a special relationship with a kid who I could hardly stand to be in the same room with. A manipulator, triangulator -- and I could swear he would have wanted me dead and to be the mother around here.

But we raised him to adulthood. And trust me, it was not easy. There were several days where I thought I couldn't do it anymore. I really wanted to give up and quit.

But we kept going and he finally graduated and he went to a Christian college. He was young when he graduated, so maturity has taken a while. Each time we see him he gets more and more grown up and I keep believing he's going to get it.... he's going to arrive at a place where we're sure he loves us and where he understands what we've done for him. He'll be a senior next year. Still learning, still growing, still driving us nuts sometimes.

But for now he's here and things are good.

No comments: