Monday, June 04, 2007

Saying the words "I'm Wrong"

There is a saying, "Perfectionists take great pains... and give them to others."

I have a child who is a perfectionist. It would just about kill her to admit an error. She can find a zillion and one ways to make the issue not her fault. My favorite from todays round, after an act of diliberate disobedience (in a very small matter), "Well you shouldn't have told me not to do it in the first place." LIke that's the issue.

And then there is Mr. Rational. Yesterday he spit in a siblings face, kicked another one, and tried to make the dog bite someone. I asked, "Why did you do that?" His response, "because you're fat." Oh yeah, that's why.

My kids do things because I'm fat, because my rules are stupid, because I'm too strict, or because I let their siblings get away with too much. They act the way they do because am dumb, I am mean, I expect too much. They do it because I was the one who forgot to tell them too, or because I told them to do it too many times. I assign them the wrong chore, buy them shirts that don't hang below their knees, or skirts that don't show their underwear to the world, so they of course, can't dress like I expect.

My biggest problem is that I try to discuss things with them. I do not know why I do. I mean really, they can't help themslves. After all, I am fat.

1 comment:

debbie said...

claudia, you must want to explode. i am sure this is no comfort at all, however, when my bio kids were teens, all was my fault also. it takes a tremendous amount of self control to get through those years and you are doing beautifully. truly.