Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Key to a Successful Weekend with John



John's trigger is the word no. That has brought about his violent behavior in the past. He's 18 now, and he knows that if he blows his placement he is homeless. So I had decided before he came home that I wasn't going to tell him anything about behavior. I told him ahead of time that he knew our expectations and it was his choice.

WE didn't have a single problem.

He was polite, grateful, happy to be home, and appropriate.

I don't think that we could do it often ... or he might become too restless ... but it was great to have him around this weekend.

And I also realize that I might discover in a few days that he did something while he was here, but then that will mean no home visit for Thanksgiving. his choice.

It certainly worked a lot better than me trying to make sure he didn't do something and trying to control where he was at all times. That kind of stress probably made it worse for him.

At any rate, it was fun to have him home.

No comments: