Friday, August 14, 2009

Selling Books, Selling Me but not Selling Out

I have realized this week that I'm a horrible self-marketer. I guess in order to sell books you need to sort of be willing to sell yourself. And I'm too busy talking about how big my butt is on twitter or posting pictures of my half closed eye to wonder about image.

And I'm having a hard time not using my blog, facebook, and twitter to be funny and to express myself to all of you, who I see as friends. Self-degrading humor is my trademark and I don't know how in the world that combines with self-promotion. But you know what? I'm probably not doing any changing.

Which, in the long run, is going to probably hurt sales. Who knows.

But I'm going to probably just stick with being me and figuring out another way to promote the book. It will take more work, but to turn this into some schmaltzy marketing blog just wouldn't work. I've had some people give me ideas (thanks) and I've got plenty, so for now I'll just be me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey, one of the first times I read your blog, you wrote about taking a BM and one of your bi-annual leg shavings. I thought "this is my kinda girl". Don't change. Just be who you are...maybe you could offer to sign some swollen eye pictures to go with the books ;)