Friday, August 21, 2009

Things That Make You Go "HUH?"

I am alone. It is quiet. I actually have an office now for Permanent Family where I will be working a couple days a week. It is nice to have a place to go where I can focus and get away from my small home office. Eventually I think it will provide me with a good place to think and write and concentrate. As for this moment the silence is kinda freakin me out. But I could get used to it.

So, things that make you go huh.

Ok, for the curious -- last night was about cigarettes and how my minor children got them and whether or not my not-so-minor children were involved. I had a good conversation with John this morning, but I'm not sure if I should trust him. His personal DNA seems to be clouded with manipulation and opportunistic behavior, and he certainly looks out for #1.

The minors who were smoking (and apparently in possession of chew as well) will go unnamed. However, I am quite disappointed both in their choices and in their decision to be deceptive. I still have to track down the truth.

In attempting to track down this truth, however, I did receive answers to a couple of my past burning questions on things I never got truth on before. I would like to believe that I can teach honesty to my children, but I talked with my friend Paula today, who some of you know, and she suggested that the sibling bond between teens and the length they will go to protect one another might be impenetrable. She inferred, actually, she said it straight up, -- most teens do not tell the truth to adults. Great.

My daughter Salinda is in the hospital with kidney stones and has been since yesterday afternoon. But what makes me go "huh" is that I didn't know that until four p.m. today. She texted me from there yesterday but said that they were going to call me to ask me for permission to treat her. They never did, so I assumed she went home.

Apparently she texted me yesterday that she was staying overnight, but I never received the text (a common problem with Alltel, which I have heard from my PCAs, thus I believe it). So today I texted to see how she was and discovered that she was still in the hospital. The back pain which they thought was kidney stones is apparently gone, but her head hurts so bad she almost passes out. Her pain tolerance isn't all that high, so I never really know for sure what to make of it all.

But I guess she's pregnant now so they don't have to notify her parents when she wants our insurance to pay for her overnight hospital stay? Weird.

So, apparently things are happening that I don't know about often these days. And you know what? I'm kinda bored with it. I know that sounds weird, but I am. I was telling Kari this afternoon that it's like watching a marathon of a high drama show. After a while even shows like "Cops" or "Intervention" get old.

And so staying up until 3 a.m. to find out who smoked when and where and how they got their cigs for like the 20th time in my parenting history -- boring!!!! Annoying!!! Sigh, ugh, yuck. Dumb.

Wow, I'm still pretty crabby, huh?

2 comments:

debbie said...

did you see the awesome review cindy wrote about your book on her blog?? you go girl!!!

Miz Kizzle said...

We learned about Occam's Razor in law school. Basically, it means that faced with two scenarios, the simpler, more plausible one is usually the truth.
For instance, if teen A insists that a space alien appeared in the back yard and handed out cigarettes (and really, wouldn't it be rude to refuse a friendly gesture on the part of a space alien?) and teen B said teen A bought the offending cigs and distributed them then teen B is probably telling the truth.