Wednesday, November 23, 2005

OH MY Goodness!

Dominyk picked tonight to go bonkers at the ecumenical service in front of God and literally everybody: the Presbyterians, the Episcopalians, the Lutherans, and the good old United Methodists.

He was calling me a b•••• in the parking lot. Then during church he sang “God is so dumb” to the tune of “We Gather Together.” He found a way to whisper some rendition of how Jesus or God was dumb or stupid to every line of the responsive reading. He told me to f*** myself several times during the service and had plenty of responses to every word of the first part of the sermon until I had to take him into the nursery. A nine year old in the nursery. It was not a pleasant evening at all.

Tonight we were challenged to make an entry a day in a “Gratitude Journal.” I think I am going to add this section to my blog as well.

I was reminded tonight of the song that we had as a recessional at our wedding. We had the congregation sing it as we ushered out our 300 guests. We have also had it sung at most of our children’s baptisms. Typically a thanksgiving song, it has great meaning and was a wonderful ending to our wedding. It has also remained our prayer of gratitude through the addition of several children.

It is still our prayer tonight.

Now thank we all our God, with heart and hands and voices,
Who wondrous things has done, in Whom this world rejoices;
Who from our mothers’ arms has blessed us on our way
With countless gifts of love, and still is ours today.

O may this bounteous God through all our life be near us,
With ever joyful hearts and blessèd peace to cheer us;
And keep us in His grace, and guide us when perplexed;
And free us from all ills, in this world and the next!

All praise and thanks to God the Father now be given;
The Son and Him Who reigns with Them in highest Heaven;
The one eternal God, Whom earth and Heaven adore;
For thus it was, is now, and shall be evermore.


For the story of the origin of this hymn, which is really interesting, click here.

1 comment:

Kathyb1960 said...

One of the few years I was in a Church choir, was in Monroe, LA, when I was in college. Our church choir got invited to sing at the TV station for a T'giving special they were doing. And the song we sang was "Now Thank We All Our God". Anytime I hear it now, I can picture us in my mind standing in the studio, and singing. And my nose itching! LOL