Thursday, November 10, 2005

Perfection in a Corner


Our almost 13 year old daughter tried hard to be perfect. And, when she chooses to be imperfect, she does so quietly and sneakily in order to avoid punishment and so that we won’t know she’s not perfect. She switches between showering in the evening and in the morning so it isn’t always easy to keep track of (we shower every day here ... I’m sure there are pros and cons of that and I’m not trying to start a debate, it’s just easier to keep track of and we have lot of smelly boys .... I digress.

Back to topic: So, Princess Perfect didn’t shower last night, at least I was pretty sure she didn’t, so I go into her room this morning to ask her when she had showered the night before and found her half dressed. She said nothing, so I said, “You need to get into the shower.” So she says, “I know!” And I replied, “Don’t even try to convince me of that. You’re half dressed. You were just hoping to get by without one.”

So, her response? She gets completely dressed and then goes into the shower telling me that she always gets dressed before her shower. I asked for clarification, “So, every morning when you shower you take off your pajamas, completely dress yourself, and then walk four steps into the bathroom, completely undress yourself and get in the shower, only to get out and get dressed again?” “YES” she says. I point out that she is being ridiculous she just stands her ground even more and slams the door, yelling through it, “This is the way I ALWAYS do it.”

So, we were all running a little late this morning, and she left the house with fire billowing out of her ears and nose....

I don’t know why it is so hard for her to admit to herself that she made a mistake, but being a perfectionist must be difficult. I’m sure glad I’m not one.

No comments: