Thursday, May 29, 2008

OK, so by this point you are all wondering if I need psychiatric care

So.... I use all my self-differentiation techniques, purposefully choosing to deep breathe, relax, remove myself from the situation, control my own anxiety.

I get to the school and have five minutes to wait. I’m all geared up for a fight. I worked on email to distract myself and finally felt OK and prepared for her arrival.

She gets in as if nothing had happened. I’m now wondering if her friend actually sent the text without Salinda even knowing or something, because she was so calm.

Maybe if I have enough of these false alarms I’ll stop being so freaked out.

So anyway, I went to pick up the boys at the other Jr. High/High School (Rand is at work, and Bart out of town, so there is only one driver). Of course, the boys weren’t there, not one of the four of them, but that’s another story that will probably go untold.

So I come home and walk in the door and her chore is already done. I say to Sadie, “I may need your help getting supper ready” and Salinda says, from the other room, “I’ll help you, Mom.”

And I fainted. right there. They had to use smelling salts to wake me up. OK, I exaggerated a little bit, but I was visibly shocked.

So, she is going to help me with dinner apparently. Oh .... my.... goodness. What a wild ride. I think I need to get out of the car and watch from below.....

2 comments:

jennifaye said...

This is so familiar to me. When I think my daughter will totally freak out (because I stand up to her) she actually does not react. Honestly, I just keep waiting. Usually, she comes up with some other request which I still have to say no to. Sometimes I am so off guard and emotionally drained that I get tricked into saying yes.

Claudia said...

THANK YOU, Jen, for making me feel normal. Sometimes I do the same thing -- get tricked into saying yes because I use way too much of my emotional energy trying to figure out what is going to happen next. Sigh. The unpredictability is really odd... and maybe it is "normal teenage girl" stuff, but as I've often said, my kids seem to "kick it up a notch"