Saturday, October 06, 2007

Saturdays the Way We Like Them

We are probably weird people. OK, you're saying, "you have twelve kids. You're definitely weird people."

But an ideal Saturday for Bart, as he blogs here involves grocery shopping and cooking for the family. An ideal Saturday for me involves time at my computer doing things I don't have time for during the week when I'm sitting at my computer working.

Today I am putting together the new worship multimedia for tomorrow and hoping to finish up the scrapbooks for our new kids so they can be mailed on Monday.

I enjoy doing creative things -- messing with photos in photoshop, improving my blog, doing video projects for church -- so while what I am doing is always going to be beneficial to someone out there, it is also kind of like a hobbie for me.

Our children (except Salinda) are all home and relatively happy. Sadie still has friends over (you know, the studio audience) and the rest of the kids at this moment are actually occupying themselves happily, often checking in with Bart or I to either help or hinder us in our projects.

I suppose other families do other things on Saturdays, but this is the way we like them. I may run errands this afternoon as well, taking a child or two with me, as I have a couple other projects to finish.

But we're all here, we're all safe and feeling good, and this is the way we like it.

2 comments:

Amelia said...

I've never commented on your blog before and respect what you're doing. I have two adopted children who have also acted out. They were unable at times to explain their feelings as to why they made the decisions they did. Teens are often impulsive because a part of their brains is not fully developed. They make rash decisions that they regret but are unable to tell you why they did what they did. Maybe Salinda did just that - made an impulsive decision to take your car and this act set in motion a chain of events that complicated things for her. REally bad decision, but she's certainly not the only kid to ever take the family car without a license. Or perhaps she's testing you to see how far she can go before you "get rid of her" like her first mother did. My girls went thru a very hard time when they got to be that age, too. Salinda is opening up to you by asking you to visit her. Listen - let her talk without judging and lecturing and interrupting and maybe you'll learn a lot about her. Hang in there. You've got a big heart. Amelia

Claudia said...

I appreciate your insight and figured that someone would have this response.

Salinda has finished a whole year of doing many things I haven't blogged. Her decisions are planned out in advance and calculated. And we found out this week that this isn't the first time she has taken the car. I'm sure she didn't plan on getting caught or the chain of events that followed. However, she has not expressed a bit of remorse -- not even to say that she wished this wouldn't have happened.

It is my intention tomorrow to go to the detention center and to listen. Often times my attempts to listen result in nothing becuase she refuses to say anything, but she knows this time I'm coming to attempt to understand and to listen to whatever she has to say.