Tuesday, July 31, 2007

A Discovery While in The Shower

I finally did shower and dress and I was actually alert and coherent in the shower, which doesn't happen often when I shower first thing,

This is my discovery "The longer you have a child, the harder it is when they head down the wrong path."

I've talked to lots of pre-adoptive parents who say, "I need to get the child when they are as young as possible so that build a relationship with them and have those positive memories." I agree with that idea in principle, but here is where it stops.

It stops when you have those years (Salinda came at six). We had 7 really great years with Salinda. She was bonded to us. She had no special needs and was a delight for seven years. The one child I could always trust, the most pleasant, the most helpful.

So now, when she is heading down a path that I know from experience I can not stop her from without her cooperation, the pain is deeper than it was with children who came older and who had lots of special needs. I feel more responsible (after all, we've had her all those years and she came young) and I feel more fear for her, and I have less resources because she has no mental illness and no special needs, and feel more trapped.

If she was moving in as a 14 year old, I would expect this kind of crap -- the defiance, the rule-breaking, the running -- and I would deal with it. But now that she is 14, the fact that she came at six doesn't give me more good memories to fall back on -- it gives me guilt that I couldn't be what she needed and do for her what she needed in order to keep her from making these mistakes.

Before I get too many comments, just let me say this -- I know that my feelings are just that -- feelings -- and not based on anything rational. I know that her teenage struggles and rebellion are not my fault.

But it occurred to me that the length of time a child lives with you before they rebel, at least in my case, does not make it easier to deal with, but harder.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Claudia,
I wish I could say something to make you feel better. Watching one of my "homemade" kids make a bad decision or seeing Ben spiral downward with his behaviors after all these years with him just about breaks my heart.

Salinda doesn't have diagnosed special needs but she did have a broken attachment early in her life, she is a teenage girl in the middle of the worst part of the hormonal hurricane, she moved to a new city last year and had to start over with friends, and she lives in a family with siblings who have pretty significant issues. I'm not making excuses for her behavior, but that's a recipe for some tough teen girl years.

My prayer for her is that she stays safe during this turmoil and that she comes out of it having grown from it. My prayer for you is that you survive this daughter's adolescence and prepare for the next!

We can always hide out at the coffee shop for the next decade or so. ~Kari

AdoptiveMomma said...

I'm suggesting all my friends in adoption check out Project 1.27.
http://www.project127.com/