Tuesday, July 31, 2007

My Mistake and Dealing with Hers

I made a mistake. The bike I thought Mike stole someone else had moved around the side of the house. Nobody will admit to doing it, but I had to formerly apologize to Mike on his my space where I had left a message accusing him of taking it.

Many people who have been following our blogs have lots of ideas about what we should do about Mike -- that we can't just say he can't live with us and then not offer him anything else. But I must remind everyone, or at least I feel like I must, that we cannot offer him help if 1) we can't find him; and 2) He is not open to receiving our help. We are willing to help him, but he has to want the help and he has to be willing to have some accountability in his life. It isn't about us not being willing to develop a plan with him but his unwillingness to work with us.

Salinda returned home late this afternoon. I was fairly proud of how calmly I handled things. I was factual, I was firm. I stated how I felt and I stated the direction she was heading in. I've given her the opportunity to spend time writing about everything that she did in the last week and why she did it. She does much better when she can pour her feelings out on paper, and it helps me to understand her better when i read it. (I often talk too much when she and I try to communicate -- I know those of you who know me are shocked).

(This was supposed to be posted Tuesday night at 9:30.... but I never hit publish

1 comment:

Sunny said...

I have a son that won't accept help or listen to advice too. My husband says it's not the, 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink'--this horse you can't even lead.

It's hard to watch them fall, but it's important to not get drug down along with them too. You've done your part and that's all you can do.