Monday, July 30, 2007

Trying to Listen


Today, after returning from a refreshing NACAC conference refreshed and feeling like a better parent, I decided to simply talk to Salinda about her experience this weekend. I did a lot of listening without judgment. The whole situation is difficult at best and I really am not sure exactly what to do.

There is a whole population of kids in this town who are on the fringes and this is the group of people that my daugher seems to have chosen to hang out with. They act as if they do not need help, but they do and I"m not sure how best to help them. Our son Mike is a part of that group.

So, I listened to Salinda for a while and she had some interesting things to say. And it was good to listen to her, and I was feeling positive about our connection. I dropped her off for an event.

Two hours later I picked up a completely different person. Unreasonable, uncommunicative, on the verge of mean....

So I decided to remember the feelings I got form person number one and pretend like person number two was only a temporary visitor, and that person number one would return soon.

Unfortunately, person number two is usually the one I deal with.

No comments: