Sunday, July 29, 2007

From The Tampa International Airport

We've had brunch out this morning and are now at the airport a little over 90 minutes before boarding. Again we've found a nice spot and are thrilled to see that the airport has free wireless internet. My battery has plenty of life. It doesn't get a lot better.

In fact, it wouldn't be better UNLESS we were headed away from home instead of towards home. We miss the kids and will be happy to see them, but we return to a world of teens and preteens where there is always stress, always testing, always arguing, always upsetting events. This would be true even if none of them had special needs, but when you add that to it all, it seems that it pushes it to a whole new level.

It's interesting though. This morning, post convention, when most people have left and I remain observing others, I have one main theme in my thoughts. Last night, Bart blogged his thoughts about seeing the people around him and I have been since watching the people around me. And I've come to a conclusion.

I don't want anyone elses life. I am sure, that in turn, nobody wants mine either, but when I see other people I'm not envious. In fact, I can find many things wrong with them. I look around. There is a family with an infant. Oh my goodness. I remember the days -- stroller, diaper bag, endless need meeting, crying. It's not necessarily easier than raising teenagers, but in many ways I prefer the emotional stress instead of the physical inconvenience.

There is a guy sitting here. I know nothing about him except that he has a PC laptop. That alone is enough to make me not envy him.

There is an older couple, obviously enjoying an early retirement, very tan, obviously empty nesters with money. Nope, not interested in that right now. Seems almost boring.

So I am content with my life. I'm experiencing a little bit of a downer as we head back to the real world and enmesh ourselves into the daily grind once again. I feel a little tired just thinking about it.

But I'm also energized by the task at hand, and once we go through readjustment, I'm excited to get back to matching kids, recruiting families, connecting with folks I met at the conference, and working once again to find families for children.

No comments: