Monday, September 18, 2006

Adios, Au revoir, Auf Wiedersehen

As Lawrence Welk’s Singers used to say.

The song has been going through my head ever since 3:30 when Bart reported to me that the judge unexpectedly closed the CHIPS case for Mike today and we are no longer going to have our former county in our lives. I can’t tell you how relieved I am. I am sure they were doing their best most of the time, but it always seemed as though they were trying to find a reason why we were the reason for our teenagers behavior. It is so good to know that they will no longer be the ones determining whether what our children need.

I then had court for John, which won’t go into detail about. The worker told me I could talk to him. I hugged him for a long time. I didn’t initiate much conversation. I tried to practice “love and logic” and “tough love” parenting, empathizing with him regarding the consequences of his actions. He seems pretty dismal, but I KNOW that this time I’ve done all I could do for him and he simply could or would not do his part.

He pleaded guilty to gross misdemeanor damage to property charges in exchange for the county dropping the assault charges. This was pre-trial so we still will have a hearing coming up.

The worker is not suggesting at all that he return home. He believes that we have done all that we can and that there is no way we can keep the other children safe. It’s nice to hear that at least.

So, I am going to bed exhausted but completely relieved that I can say “Goodnight and Goodbye” to our former county child protection system forever.

No comments: