Saturday, September 30, 2006

Here we Go Again (or Maybe Not)

We let Mike out of our site again. He told me M was picking him up and he and D (who came for dinner and ate a LOT of Bart’s great cooking) and that he was going to spend the night at Zs house. He said he would have Zs parents call to let me know it was OK (family policy).

Well, at 10 p.m., still no phone call. I called M. M hadn’t seen MIke for a long time, but might be “hooking up with him later.” I told him to have him call.

We never heard anything all night long. Then this morning, as I was writing this, I checked the machine and he left a message from some weird number at 12:27 a.m., but the phone in our room was turned off at midnight. I called that number back this morning and there was no answer.

It’s hard for me to sleep in these situations, so I hate it when it happens. More for selfish reasons than anything. But I also really want this kid to make something of his life.

And Salinda had a weird plan that resulted in her calling for a ride at 7:30 this morning, the first time I actually have been in bed that late in weeks. And she hasn’t been able to pay her cell phone bill this month, so I had to confiscate her phone. And next month the bill is 6 times higher because she talked so much.

She thought her tennis match was cancelled, but it turns out it was still on and she was late. She also had less than 4 hours of sleep last night.

I tried to explain to her that I was saying “yes” to some of her requests and letting her suffer the consequences even when I could stop her from them by saying “no” ahead of time. I don’t know if she got it or not.

I wish “we live and we learn” always applied in every situation.

And today is another busy one.

No comments: