Tuesday, September 05, 2006

When He Blogs LIke This

When Bart blogs something deep and meaningful it kind of shames me. But he also has a way of helping me remember things differently than I might have. It’s great to be married to someone who balances me out so well.

Last night we divided kids into three groups (we’ve always just had two before. Before there were bigs and littles. But now the littlest little is almost as big as the biggest big used to be, so I figured we better start calling it something else.

We have littles, middles, and bigs, but they are not by age, but by level of responsibility. Being a little, middle, or big determines your bedtime as well as some of the privileges you get. Responsibilities for middles are doing what is expected, no more and no less. To be a big you have to do a little more. If you don’t do what is expected (chore, dishes on your day, room somewhat tidy, etc.) then you are a little, even if you’re 18.

So last night we started. I laughed outloud when the middles were thrilled to have permission to stay up until 9:30 when in reality, we haven’t been able to get them settled down before 10 all summer long. They were in bed and perfectly quiet by 9:30, all tasks accomplish. I am realistic enough to know that it won’t always be that easy, but it seemed to be a motivation for one night at least.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Claudia, I understand you fustration with the dividing. Even tho my special need is only 6 he has to be in the 3 yr old age, it is TOUGH!!! Trying to adjust this to normal is a hard transition. OK I am trying LOL
Thanks for sharing.. Beth in MN