Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Charter Schools

I took Rand to register for classes today and I LIKE the methodology of his new charter school. It is project based and today we came up with an idea for his senior project, which is going to require 300 hours of work. My Parents work at Sun Valley Indian School and the plan is for Rand to go down there and join the staff when he graduates. So today we came up with a senior project that involves studying Native American culture, music, art, geography, history, etc. He’s excited about it and I am too. I’d love to actually do the project myself it sounds so fun.

The school has a reputation of being the place where all the “bad kids” go -- but we’re hoping to make connections with some of them because our philosophy is like theirs -- there is no such thing as a “bad kid” just kids who make bad choices.

If I only had more hours in the day I would volunteer there.... I think it sounds like a great place and I’m glad Rand made the decision to be risky and try a charter school. In some ways it will require more work for me as a parent in helping him to organize his projects and time, but I think in the long run we’re going to be glad we invested the time.

No comments: