Friday, August 18, 2006

New People and Places

Before adopting traumatized children, I had never been to lots of different places: I hadn’t been into a courtroom, for example, nor into a “Child Protection Workers” Office. I hadn’t met a probation officer nor been to a detention center. I hadn’t been to the office where you apply for welfare. I’d never been to a boys ranch nor a level five day treatment program. I’d never had an attorney and other than Bart, who used to be one, I hadn’t met a guardian ad litem. I hadn’t been to the sheriff’s office nor to the police department.

Today I got to visit the Community Corrections department in our new county. So far we’ve been here a little over two months and I’ve been to most of the places mentioned above in our brief stay here. Today I had to drop off John’s belongings -- they were very specific about what he could have -- to his Probation Officer so she could deliver them to him.

I am a firm believer that each person we meet in our lives enriches us in a unique way. Just think of all of the people I would never have met had I chosen the carousel (by the way, that post never made it to my blog a few days ago, so I just uploaded it).


No comments: