Wednesday, August 30, 2006

The Stuck on Stupid Chair


I learned the phrase, “stuck on stupid” from Cindy. I’m sure it isn’t politically correct, well, maybe in rural Georgia it is, but I use it anyway.

I use it when my kids get stuck where they can’t make themselves move in the right direction. They know they are heading for consequences, but whatever I am asking them to do they can’t make themselves do it. Whether it is answering a question, telling the truth, apologizing, or moving on to obey a directive, it’s like they are frozen in time.

This is the chair in my office where many of my children get “stuck on stupid.” Today, Sadie was there, having told me three lies in a row about something she didn’t need to lie about at all. When I tried to get her to answer my question as to the motive for the lie, she froze.

Then, as I went to take a picture of her “stuck on stupid” as I have been known to do in the past, she dove under the desk to hide, making an even more blogable story.

I finally got her heading in the write direction by making her bedtime earlier in five minute increments. Maybe next time she has to choose, the truth will come out. Or maybe not. But at least i know I’m doing my part in heading my kids in the right direction.

No comments: