Friday, August 18, 2006

So Proud

I’m exhausted -- but so VERY proud of Rand that I had to take a minute to blog.

When I dropped Rand off for his two months of working as a counselor at Camp Friendship, I didn’t mention church. I knew he was there without a vehicle, that it wasn’t a Christian camp, and that it would be very difficult for him to try to find a ride on the only day off that the counselors had.

When I picked him up today Jimmy was with me and mentioned how Rand would be coming to our new church for the first time this Sunday. He said to me, “Oh, Mom, I actually went to church this summer.”

After further investigation, I learned that there was a tiny Lutheran church (at least that’s what Rand THINKS it was) across the road from the camp. There were only about 20 people who went there, but Rand visited all on his own. Not only did he visit, but he went every Sunday except for one when his alarm clock was broken and he accidentally slept in. Nobody went with him, he just walked over, on his own, without us asking him to or even expecting him to.

I’m so proud I could burst. He turned 18 yesterday and his taking the initiative to make sure he was in worship all summer is sure proof he’s becoming a man.

2 comments:

QueenBee said...

that makes my heart smile....

Kelly Curtis said...

What a great post! And you're right, it's an excellent story for Pass the Torch Tuesday. I hope you'll join un in the future!

And be sure to link to your post on my site so people can find you! Have a great day!