Sunday, July 09, 2006

Just for Me

Sometimes my husband preaches a sermon that is just what I need. Since he plans his sermons two or three weeks in advance, it can’t really be that he is addressing my particular emotional place, but sometimes it really seems like it.

This morning he used this Scripture from 2 Corinthians 12:

To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Bart asked, reflecting on yesterdays funeral and other difficult situations in our lives, “Is it Enough?” Is God’s grace enough to get us through?

After last nights verbal onslought from John, these words were so appropriate: That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Maybe it is in my own weakness, which is never so apparent than in parenting, that Christ can be strong. God’s power is made perfect in my weakness, not in my strength.

It was a good one.

1 comment:

QueenBee said...

This is such a powerful passage. It was "my verse" through the years of infertility treatments and stuff. It reminds me of the song, "Your grace is enough....Your grace is enough....Your grace is enough, enough for me...." I can't remember the rest of it. I learned a lot about God's Grace as I am sure you are also. So much so, we've chosen Grace as the middle name for our daughter.