Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Why I Work "outside the home"

We just finished a meeting today where I heard that people were requesting me to speak at a conference. That, and the fun I had at the meeting, though I probably annoyed some people, is why I work outside the home.

Being a stay-at-home mom is very hard because there is no affirmation and there is not a lot of adult conversation. My kids don't tell me that I'm a good mom very often (maybe because I'm not a good mom very often). I don't hear them tell me that I'm good at what I'm doing. In fact, lately I've heard a lot of the opposite.

So, it's great to have something outside of the house, to keep me believing that I have basic human worth.

To all those of you who stay home with kids and don't have outside work to give you affirmation and adult conversation, I applaud you, I am amazed by you, heck, I practically worship you. I wish I could do it, but I just can't.

So I have the best and the worst of both worlds -- i work from home. And, for some strange reason, it seems to work for me most of the time.

So today I'm feeling a little gratitude and a little hope -- because tomorrow we might have internet.

leaving the church now ...

No comments: