Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Wild 30 Minutes

This morning at 7:55 the plumber arrived. I let him in, showed him the leak in the basement and where we wanted the hose for the new fridge.

By 8:20 the deliverers were here, 45 minutes or so early, with the fridge and stove. They informed me that they would have to come back and get the stove because an electrician had to disconnect the stove. Fortunately, one was scheduled for today anyway. They moved the new stove right into the middle of the kitchen. They told me, however, that they had to take the old fridge immediately so I needed to clean it out. They even started grabbing at salad dressing bottles... I told them I would take care of it.

I got it cleaned out in time by putting everything all over the kitchen. The guys taking the old fridge out said, “I think this is leaking and dripping a lot” as they proceeded to wheel it all over our new entry way rug. It appears that a piece of the old fridge fell off and is now in the yard.

During the time that the plumber is trying to run the dishwasher to see where the leak and the basement is. He is slipping on the water that the plumbers dripped.

As this is all going on the phone rang 5 times in 15 minutes. One was a wrong number. One took a minute -- answering a question about insurance. But then the next three calls were interesting. Some background:

I had called the cable company last week to request another remote, thinking they were unique and wanting to use one on another TV. We had been cut off so I figured nothing would happen. But at 8:40 I got a call from the “cable guy.” “Hi, this is your cable company. I’m coming over to bring that remote you ordered. Just wanted you to know.”
The second call, five minutes later, was a woman. “Hi, this is your cable company. You would be better off going to Walmart to get another remote and not paying us to deliver one. The ones you can buy yourself will work just as well.” I told them OK, and told her that the guy had already called. She told me she would cancel. Three minutes later another woman called. “Good morning. This is your cable company. We have an order here for a technician to come out and service you this morning.” Needless to say, I explained the whole thing and finally the phone stopped ringing.

By this time I was exhausted and my day had just begun. The plumber came down with the “good news” that there’s nothing wrong with the pipes, but we need a new dishwasher. It was leaking through the floor. I thanked him for allowing us to pay him for an hour of his time to tell us we needed to buy a new dishwasher.

I decided to run errands since I hadn’t gotten anything done yet -- got gas, bought milk, went to the PO, dropped off the gang-banger clothes I bought from John at the Salvation Army and then rented 5 movies for a week for $6.00 so Dominyk would have something to do on his PCA-less days.

Kari stopped by with Anna to visit for a few minutes and now I’m finally at my desk at 11:30. Looks I’ll be working late tonight!

No comments: