Thursday, December 21, 2006

If You Could See My Office (or my Brain) Right Now


You would wonder how I can move in here. It is horrendous. It looks like there has been a tornado whirling in here for weeks, which is actually sort of true. I have felt like a tornado lately. Hopefully I’ll get it cleaned today.

But my brain is worse. It is so cluttered with all kinds of stuff -- my Christmas shopping is only half done and we’re usually done by December 15. I have several work situations that are disappointing and frustrating (families not getting the kids they were matched with, etc.) I have 236 emails yet in my inbox and that is pulsating in my brain, because I hate being behind. I have complexing situations and dilemmas to ponder with at least 5 of the 10 kids right now and my day today is packed.

Last night Mike found himself in a real bind. He has a job as a snowboard instructor, but his boots and bindings were shot. Expensive to replace. He asked me what to do and I told him that he could either invest in new ones by borrowing from us, knowing that most of the money he earned would have to be spent on the equipment he needed to have the job or quit the job and find something else. Since he had already invested $70 in stuff, he decided to borrow the money. Needless to say, we didn’t know it would cost over $300. Now he is in debt (because of his shoplifting fine) almost $500 to us and who knows how much money he is making at the resort. He said something about working on commission. Was it a wise loan on our part? Of course not. He will more than likely either get fired, not make as much as anticipated, or have to go into a detention facility for stealing the car and not be able to work. BUT, it may have all been worth it due to one comment he made.

“If I was on my own,” he told Bart, “I wouldn’t be able to do this.” Bart reminded him that it was a loan and Mike said, “yeah, but I still wouldn’t have been able to do it without you.”

It gave Bart an awesome opportunity to point out to him that there is value in having a family....

Loan for goggles and a ski resort fleece: $70
Loan for bindings and boots: $330
Loan for shoplifting fine: $50
Loan to payback a friend who is mad at you: $20
Realization for a RAD kid that family matters: Priceless


No comments: